- Distribution of the budget when creating a mobile application
- How we help launch a mobile product
- Possible scenarios
Any startup has little time, money and no proven hypothesis, which is why it is called a startup.
Throughout the existence of the AppCraft mobile application development studio, we tried to launch our own projects, and we do it now. And from our own experience, we have made sure that the following strategy is optimal:
- Think over the idea that has arisen, look at existing examples, and pay special attention to closed mobile applications. Very important do not forget about the survivor bias.
- List everything that can be done in the project.
- Spend no less time to throw away everything without which the product can exist… If the main goal of the application, that is, the solution to a specific user problem, is achieved without this feature, it should be thrown away without hesitation.
- Draw up a marketing plan, at least an approximate one. If you do not think it over from the beginning, then at the start of an advertising campaign you will have to redo and add many things.
- Write a detailed technical assignment. For a startup, it should be detailed in comparison with mobile applications for already established business processes. If there, in case of questions, the answers are easily found among the established rules, then revisions of entire sections are possible here. Writing technical specifications is the creation of a product.
- Start a marketing campaign in accordance with a previously developed plan immediately, without even waiting for the first version of the product. Recruiting an audience and establishing close cooperation with it is a very difficult task, in fact, this is what you are doing by creating a mobile product. Therefore, you need to start doing this as early as possible.
- Develop the first version of the product, test it in focus groups. Complete 3-4 processing cycles and improvements based on the information collected.
- Carry out a soft start on the formed cohorts of the intended target audience. Cut off non-working cohorts and focus on the most alive.
- Move fastfocusing on early adopters. You need to communicate with them, their loyalty needs to be appreciated.
The way to launch your own project cannot be called easy – there is really a lot of work, especially in establishing productive communication with users, and since resources are limited, first of all they need to be properly allocated.
Distribution of the budget when creating a mobile application
The bulk of the resources, about 60-70%, should be spent on gathering the audience. This includes direct advertising, and the formation of groups on social networks, and the purchase of articles, and partnerships, and many other methods.
Completely viral products that have grown without a single advertising penny are extremely rare. If this happens to your product, that’s fine, but it’s better to be able to fire multiple shots and hit the target without relying on one powerful shot in the top ten.
Of the remaining small part, 25% are for creating MVP and project management, and 50% for revisions based on the results of testing cycles.
It all looks something like this:
First – MVP, then several quick cycles of improvement and refinement on test cohorts, then transition to large service cycles.
It is important to understand that modern IT products are services. They are not written once and for all, they are constantly changing, adapting both to the surrounding reality and to the changing needs of users.
How we help launch a mobile product
At first, we protect your idea the signing of an NDA – a non-disclosure agreement. Each specialist in our team working on your project has a similar signed agreement with the studio.
Yes, in the modern world, patenting is not as important as the speed of building business processes and the ability to form a product audience. Nevertheless, a successfully launched product is a lot of capital, and you need to work with it very carefully. Therefore, the protection of your right to your mobile application is at the forefront.
Further on the stages of development and development:
1. We carry out market analysis and write a detailed analytical report indicating the history of experiments in this niche, current competitors, links to research from global consulting companies and recommendation conclusions.
2. We help in formation of a marketing strategy…
3. We draw up technical specifications together with you, we make a clickable prototype and organize the collection of focus group information.
4. We develop MVP, preparing for a soft launch, organizing the collection and processing of statistical information. In the article about launching a mobile application we wrote about this in more detail.
5. We help in launching: we monitor the technical condition of the product, provide support, set up A / B testing of key functionality.
6. If necessary – we organize communication with investors and help in negotiations on technical issues.
A large number of developed mobile applications have formed our understanding of how it is worth and how not to do each stage. Of course, each product is different, but there are common features of the technological process that increase the chances of success.
On the blog, you can read our article on the cost of developing an app for android and iOS…
Yes, the first version of the developed product may not work. As a rule, it does not work. Everything we do the first time rarely works well.
Therefore, the startup process does not at all assume that this will happen:
1. After the development of the technical specification, the clickable prototype is shown to the target audience. We ask potential users to rate from 0 to 10 – how likely it is that they will install such a mobile application for themselves. Almost everyone puts 7-9 – this is politeness, no one will use the product. 10 – most likely yes. Success is measured in tens. If there are not enough of them, the product needs to be redone.
2. Developed MVP is launched on test cohorts. Here the statistics are analyzed in detail and, again, rotations of individual functions or even the entire product are possible.
3. During soft start, the groping process continues, some functions are amorphous and can be changed at any time, some are removed, and some are added.
4. If, after many attempts, it is still not possible to reach profitability, a more radical change in the business model is considered: partnerships, creation of a product for a specific client, barter cooperation and other options.
It happens that the result is not quite what was intended, even in its essence, but if it works, solves people’s problems and allows you to earn money, that’s great.
We will help you at every stage of this difficult path and will be happy to share our experience. Doing something big together is always very interesting and exciting.